Camp doesn't happen without lots and lots of help
The phrase "it takes a village to raise a child" couldn't apply more to Camp Fowler. We have a huge tribe of people who are willing to invest their time, energy, and money into our little corner of the world so that children everywhere can experience camp. After 63 years of operation, the Fowler Family has grown to thousands of people. Each of those people have been impacted by a staff member, a volunteer, or a charitable donation, and many of them go on to make contributions of their own.
Each summer, 30 young adults choose to give up their entire summer to help children experience Camp Fowler by serving as part of our summer staff. These staff come from New York, Connecticut, Michigan, Colorado, Uruguay, and beyond.
Each summer, 200 adults choose to give up a week(or multiple weeks) of their time to volunteer: as cabin counselors, kitchen helpers, and maintenance assistants.
Each summer, 30 high school students give up two weeks of their summer to serve Camp Fowler as a SWiM (Student Working in Ministry) by being role models for young campers and by providing support for summer staff.
Each year, hundreds of individuals make charitable donations that help kids everywhere to come to camp.
Learn more about how to become part of the Fowler Family below. We would love to have you join us.
Camp is subsidized by generous gifts that allow Fowler to charge approximately $100 less per camper than actual costs. Fowler also gives out $10,000-$15,000 in scholarship aid each summer to families of campers who need some financial help. We want to make sure that every child who wants to camp, can.
With your help, each year over 1,000 children are able to
- swim and canoe in an Adirondack lake
- eat healthy meals and sing hearty songs
- make new and often life-long friends
- hear in word and deed that they are loved by God and others
- and be surrounded by adults who care for and nurture them.
We are also able to host a variety of other organizations and nonprofits like the Lower Eastside Manhattan Girl's Club, Capital Region Hospice, and the Al-Hidaya Mosque and partner with them to show more people the joy found in this world of wonders. Only your generosity allows this to continue.
Will you help us to ensure that all children can continue to experience love, joy, and wonder this summer and beyond?
where does your money go?
- 40 buildings
- 1,000' of lakefront
- 245 acres
- 48 canoes/kayaks/sailboats
- 5 vehicles
- and a plethora of backpacks, tents, and camping gear
Camp Fowler has only 4 full time staff who are responsible for providing camp and retreat experiences for:
- 800 summer campers
- 150 Adult volunteers
- 30 summer staff
- 30 Students Working in Ministry (SWiMs)
Our income is approximately:
- $300,000 from summer camp
- $40,000 from Fowler run retreats
- $110,000 from retreat center rentals
- $200,000 from voluntary contributions
Our expense budget includes approximately:
- $170,000 for summer camp & staff
- $80,000 for food
- $40,000 for utilities
- $80,000 for maintenance and vehicles
- $15,000 for office and support
- $260,000 for year round staff